Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Cut" 1/3 done

The novel "Cut" by Patricia McCormick has realistic characters in which the average teen of today's world can relate to. The main character Callie is currently in a mental institution and despite popular belief there are no regular "crazies" as what is given off by movies, television etc, but there are mere kids in this hospital with what are claimed to be mental problems, such as eating disorders, drug/alcohol addictions, and self inflicted pain also known as cutting yourself. These are certain characters most teens can relate to, because this is not an unusual thing in this day and age, because everyone claims to have a problem with a so-called addiction. Yet with the way McCormick is explaining these characters, it is believable that you can have an addiction with drugs or cutting yourself, I, myself do not believe in such a thing, because I believe anything you do too yourself is, because you want it, this is not a post of my opinion however I chose this book to maybe change my view on this subject of physical or mental harm done to oneself. Callies situation is something some can or cannot relate to, a working father a stay at home mother and a very sick younger brother and very little attention is left for her, but this is no reason to reason to harm yourself and this furthers my belief hat cutting yourself is for attention and nothing more, this may be narrow minded or old-fashioned but I hope that that this book changes how I think, because not only are the characters believable but the plot is realistic as well.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Yet with the way McCormick is explaining these characters, it is believable that you can have an addiction with drugs or cutting yourself, I, myself do not believe in such a thing, because I believe anything you do too yourself is, because you want it, this is not a post of my opinion however I chose this book to maybe change my view on this subject of physical or mental harm done to oneself.

Pat, I really like the approach you're taking in this response. But, I have a question about this sentence. First a statement...this is a place to post your opinion. In reading this it seems you are trying to reconcile your belief system with the situation and themes dealt with in the book. Brother, that is why we read and learn. So, always feel free to express your opinion on matters book related.