Thursday, April 24, 2008

work in porgess

Between the ages of 10 and 11, I always would try to ride a skateboard up and down my drive way, but I would always fall. Doing the simplest thing was riding it and i could not even do that. I was wearing pants and a Bam Margera shirt And i remember falling and ripping my pants because i hit a rock. i scrared my knee, ran inside and washed it off then after I did this I went to lay down on my couch and started to watch t.v and then I noticed as I was flipping through the X games were on and it has a part for skateboarders so I watched it. The show made me realize what I can become if I were to stick with it and get better at it as well. A few years later as I got older and started to learn more and more about this sport I became better and better. As I got older I watched more of the X games and I heard Tony hawk say "Im the bird man" After I heard him say this I sat there and said to myself I want to be the next bird man.

At this time I know quite a bit about this sport. I know that it takes alot of concentration and dedication. It's a tough thing to do but when u do it it's worth the frustration. Yea i said it, it's a frustrating thing to do, it also takes time and effort. It's not alway's about hanging with your friends some days its alright to skate and hang out but other days you just want to skate so hard that you get hurt and do it again. Nobody is persfect it takes time and effort to get it all down. One day you can get a certain trick and the next day its like u never did that in your life. The most important part of skateboarding is you need to be dedicated and you have to love the sport or else it's a waste of time. There's alot of things that go around this sport but I have a few questions that are unanswered.

Through out this project I want to know how these skaters become mentally prepared for there long day of skating? How do I become mentally prepared? What are the mental aspects of skating? and what are the physical aspects of skating? In my quest to answer these question's it's going to take hard work and DEDICATION.


I started my search and I was getting frustrated because there was nothing I could use for this project. When I went to Google and searched for answers I didn't find what I was looking for and/or the sites were blocked. After a while I got frustrated and wanted to give up because I thought if I don't find anything now I'm never going to find anything at all. You would think that there would be something on this topic but I guess I was wrong, but then my luck changed I was searching on Google and something great happened. At last my luck has changed and i can begin my research on this topic. It starts like this i typed in skateboard motivation and Bam there it was.


I stumbled across this website that had a whole bunch of little interviews of skateboarding and how they become focused and prepared for skateboarding.Now I focused on the best of the best because obviously there methods work. I went to Google and typed in skateboard motivation and this website had a whole bunch of pros's that were interviewed on this topic.Ryan scheckler was only 13 when he became a pro and he said what motivates him is fast music and the rush of the sport. He also said that people should never give up because that's the first sign of saying you are weak and cant handle the pain and frustration. Now everyone says that music improves there ability and as being a skater I think that's true , I focus more when I'm listening to music. He stated that it all comes from the self-confidence and self motivation, and if you don't believe in your self you mines well not skate at all. Now unfortunately this sport is really hard to become a pro but anything can happen u just have to motivate your self even if your having an off day get back up and do it again.


Cave, Steve. "Ryan Sheckler Interview." 04 18 2008 .

1 comment:

Mike G said...

Your research topic seems to be really interesting. I understand how difficult it is to skate because i do it every so often and notice that even if you take a couple days off from skating your not going to be the same. its definatly not as easy as riding a bike. The sport is both physically and mentally demanding.